I LOVE this super simple Vegan Banana Berry Muffins recipe from The Teen's Vegetarian Cookbook. My little one was a little skeptical at first, but once he found a tangy berry in the mix, he was sold! You can also substitute other fruit for the berries, such as chopped peaches, apples, or dried apricots.
- 240g unbleached white flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2tsp bicarbonate soda
- 1/4tsp salt
- 2 medium ripe bananas, mashed
- 156g maple syrup, honey, or barley malt
- 6Tbs vegetable oil
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4tsp lemon extract
- 118ml water
- 85g fresh or frozen blueberries, raspberries, or cranberries
- Heat oven to 190°C. In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, bicarbonate soda, and salt.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine remaining ingredients, except berries. Pour this into flour mixture and stir until just combined. (Do not stir any longer, or muffins might be tough.)
- Add berries and stir to distribute them throughout the batter. Spoon the batter into greased muffin tins to 2/3 full. (You can line the muffin tin with paper or foil liners instead of greasing.)
- Bake for about 20 minutes, or until muffins are risen, firm, and slightly golden on top. Makes about 8 to 10 muffins.