This super simple vegan french toast recipe is the perfect meal to cook with your kids! If you'd rather not have the vegan version, the soymilk and mashed banana can be replaced with milk and eggs.
- 118ml soymilk or other milk alternative (sweet hint: Use vanilla soymilk or rice milk for extra flavour.
- 1 mashed banana
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 Tablespoon flour
- pinch of salt
- dash of cinnamon
- 4 slices of dairy-free whole wheat bread
- In a bowl, mix together soymilk, mashed banana, and 1 Tablespoon of the oil. Add flour, salt, and cinnamon to make the batter
- Heat a nonstick griddle or frying pan over medium high heat until a few drops of water drizzled onto it forms beads and bounces around. Pour remaining oil on the griddle and heat until hot.
- When oiled griddle is hot, quickly dip two bread slices into batter, lightly coating both sides. Place bread slices on hot griddle and cook for 1 to 2 minutes on one side, flip with spatula, and cook on opposite side for another minute or 2. Continue cooking, flipping occasionally, until both sides are browned, about 5 minutes in all.
- Add more oil to griddle, if necessary, and repeat with any remaining bread. Serve French Toast with maple syrup, organic yogurt, or sprinkle with powdered sugar. Makes 4 slices.